Creamy Vegetable Soup
"I like to experiment with new low-fat recipes," shares Rita Zagrzebski of Eagle River, Wisconsin.
16 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + cooling Cook: 40 min.
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 2 medium unpeeled potatoes, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 8 cups coarsely chopped fresh broccoli
- 8 cups coarsely chopped fresh cauliflower
- 4 cups fat-free milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large kettle, combine broth, carrots, potatoes, onions and rice;
- cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 20 minutes. Add
- broccoli and cauliflower; simmer for 20 minutes or until the
- vegetables are tender. Cool slightly. Puree half of the mixture in a
- blender or food processor; return to kettle. Add milk and pepper;
- mix well. Heat through (do not boil). Yield: 16 servings (4-1/2
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup equals 105 calories, 1 g fat (0 saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 83 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat-free milk.