Creamy Tomato Bisque
This rich, creamy bisque has a wonderful old-fashioned flavor...it makes a nice accompaniment to any meal.
8 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 40 min. + cooling
- 2 cups water
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 medium fresh tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup sherry, optional
- In a large saucepan, bring first five ingredients to a boil. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are
- tender. Cool.
- Puree mixture in a food processor or blender; set aside. In the same
- saucepan, saute fresh tomatoes in butter for 5 minutes. Stir in
- flour to make a smooth paste. Gradually add cream and stir over low
- heat until thickened. Stir in pureed mixture and sherry if desired.
- Yield: about 8 servings (2 quarts).
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 169 calories, 12 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 721 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.