For a family-pleasing side dish, I rely on comforting recipe. My children started eating vegetables at an early age. This spinach recipe is one of their all-time favorites.Rachel Greenawalt Keller, Roanoke, Virginia
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Prepare spinach according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, cook onion in oil until tender. Stir in the
- flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in milk. Bring
- to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until
- thickened. Stir in reserved spinach. Add cheese; stir until melted.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 2/3 cup equals 124 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 452 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 9 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.