Creamy Reuben Soup
I had a professor in college who loved Reuben sandwiches. When he got the flu, I came up with this creamy soup. He loved it! —Jay Davis, Knoxville, Tennessee
5 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/4 pound sliced deli corned beef, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery and green pepper in
- butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add
- broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until
- Reduce heat to low. Add the cream, corned beef, sauerkraut, salt and
- pepper; heat through (do not boil). Stir in cheese until melted.
- Yield: 5 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup (prepared with reduced-sodium broth) equals 340 calories, 26 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 105 mg cholesterol, 783 mg sodium,