Creamy Potato Casserole
This comforting casserole from Patricia Staudt of Marble Rock, Iowa has plenty of down-home appeal, and it's sized right to serve a large gathering. The crushed cornflakes you sprinkle on top give it a beautiful golden color when it is baked.
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 4 pounds potatoes, peeled, cooked and cooled
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 7 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup crushed cornflakes
- Shred potatoes; place in a large bowl and set aside. In a skillet,
- saute onion in 4 tablespoons butter until tender. Remove from the
- heat; stir in sour cream and soup. Add to potatoes. Stir in cheese
- and salt. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Melt the remaining butter; toss with cornflakes. Sprinkle over
- casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until
- heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 345 calories, 18 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 491 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 8 g protein.