Creamy Parmesan Spinach
This recipe, from Priscilla Gilbert of Indian Harbour Beach, Florida, combines fresh baby spinach with a delicious, creamy Parmesan cheese sauce. Crushed croutons top it off and give the side dish a wonderful crunch.
3 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 packages (6 ounces each) fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2/3 cup onion and garlic salad croutons, crushed
- Place spinach and water in a Dutch oven; cover and cook for 3 minutes
- or until wilted. Drain and set aside.
- In the same pan, melt butter. Stir in the cream, lemon peel, garlic
- and pepper flakes; bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat; simmer,
- uncovered, for 5 minutes or until slightly reduced. Stir in cheese
- and spinach; heat through. Sprinkle with croutons. Yield: 3
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 275 calories, 23 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 444 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 9 g protein.