We grew a large quantity of onions on the farm where I was raised. Since they seemed to go with everything, we enjoyed them often in many different ways. Besides, back in the good old days, Mom said onions kept us from getting colds in the winter!
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 24 boiling onions, peeled
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- Dash ground cloves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, cook onions in boiling salted water until
- tender. Drain; set aside. In the same saucepan, melt butter. Blend
- in flour and salt until smooth. Add milk all at once; cook and stir
- over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute
- more. Stir in the cloves and parsley. Add onions; stir gently until
- heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (4 each) equals 95 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 258 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.