Creamy Onion Soup
My husband works at a grain elevator and is outside in all kinds of weather. He appreciates having a big bowl of this soup waiting when he comes home.Naomi Giddis, Two Buttes, Colorado
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 pound yellow onions (about 3 medium), sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Dash each pepper and dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 2 cups milk, divided
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- In a 3-qt. saucepan over medium heat, saute onions in butter. Add
- broth, pepper, thyme and salt if desired; bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add 1-2/3 cups milk. Stir
- flour into remaining milk until smooth; add to soup. Bring to a
- boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 6
- servings (1-1/2 quarts).
Nutrition Facts: One 1-cup serving (prepared with margarine, low-sodium broth and skim milk and without salt) equals 1 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 fat; also, 133 calories, 162 mg sodium, 5 mg cholesterol, 17 gm carbohydrate, 6 gm protein, 5 gm fat.