Creamy Fruit Bowl
THIS fruit salad is always on the menu for special occasions, since it can be served as a salad or dessert.
It's a traditional dish with our family, and it must be passed on to a new bride.
When one of us brings it to a gathering, we take a copy of the recipe along to share. Someone always requests it!
-Gretchen Baudhuin, Palm Coast, Florida
10-12 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple tidbits, undrained
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Dash salt
- 4 medium navel oranges, sectioned, divided
- 3 cups seedless grapes, divided
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Fresh mint, optional
- Drain pineapple, reserving 2 tablespoons juice; set pineapple aside.
- Pour juice into a double boiler; add the egg yolks, sugar, vinegar,
- butter and salt. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until mixture
- thickens and a thermometer reads at least 160°. Cool.
- Stir in the pineapple, three oranges, 2-1/2 cups grapes and
- marshmallows. Cover and chill for at least 12 hours.
- Fold in whipped cream just before serving. Top with remaining oranges
- and grapes. Garnish with mint if desired. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 201 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 83 mg cholesterol, 37 mg sodium,