Creamy Clam Chowder
At our Pittsburgh competition, Lori Kimble's rich and satisfying chowder took top honors. She relates, "This family favorite is perhaps the easiest recipe for clam chowder that I have ever made. Served with sourdough bread, it's especially delicious."
9 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of potato soup, undiluted
- 3 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) minced clams
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 quart half-and-half cream
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, carrots and celery in butter
- until tender. Stir in potato soup and two cans of undrained clams.
- Drain and discard juice from remaining can of clams; add clams to
- Combine cornstarch and a 1 cup of cream until smooth; stir into soup.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Gradually stir in the remaining cream; heat through. Yield: 9
- servings (about 2 quarts).
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 339 calories, 27 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 100 mg cholesterol, 568 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.