Creamy Cauliflower and Bacon Soup
“This is such a rich dish, you don’t need to serve a lot with it. For a simple garnish instead of the bacon, I add a drop of hot sauce to the top and drag a butter knife through it.” Mildred Caruso - Brighton, Tennessee
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 medium head cauliflower (2 pounds), cut into florets
- 2 cups half-and-half cream, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded Asiago cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 to 1 cup water
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Place cauliflower in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over
- 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 8-10 minutes or
- until tender. Cool slightly.
- Place cauliflower and 1/2 cup cream in a food processor; cover and
- process until pureed. Transfer to a large saucepan.
- Stir in the cheese, salt, nutmeg, pepper and remaining cream. Add
- enough water to reach desired consistency; heat through. Sprinkle
- each serving with bacon. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup equals 303 calories, 19 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 79 mg cholesterol, 605 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 15 g protein.