- with edge of plate. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Combine the sugar,
- flour, lemon peel, cinnamon and salt; add to apples and gently toss.
- Mound apples in pastry shell so center is higher than edges; dot
- with butter.
- Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; cut a hole in the center
- about the size of a quarter. Place over filling; trim, seal and
- flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Add decorative cutouts if desired.
- Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 375° and remove foil. Bake 35-40 minutes longer
- or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on wire
- rack for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, beat the egg, sugar and lemon juice.
- Cook and stir over low heat until mixture is thickened and reaches
- 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat; stir in cream cheese and sour cream until
- smooth. Slowly pour into center of pie. Cool on wire rack for 1
- hour. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 487 calories, 24 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 91 mg cholesterol, 526 mg sodium, 63 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.