Creamed Turkey over Rice
THIS IS one of our favorite ways to have leftover turkey. When I buy a turkey for my family of five, I choose the largest one I can find so we are sure to have plenty of leftovers. This recipe is simple to prepare and absolutely delicious.
-Kathi Parker, Hendersonville, North Carolina
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cubed Swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon diced pimientos, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Hot cooked long grain and wild rice
- In a large skillet, saute onion and celery in butter until tender.
- Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in broth. Bring to a
- boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in the turkey,
- milk, cheese, pimientos, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cook until cheese
- is melted and mixture is heated through. Serve over rice. Yield: 4
Nutrition Facts: One serving (1 each) equals 372 calories, 22 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 107 mg cholesterol, 896 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 30 g protein.