Creamed Beans and Potatoes
This soothing side dish is so much nicer than plain beans and potatoes. Mother relied on hearty downhome recipes such as this one. Now I also cook it for my family. Lisa Andis, Morristown, Indiana
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 4 medium red potatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen beans or peas
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until
- tender. Cook beans according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a saucepan; stir in flour, salt and pepper
- until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for
- 1 minute or until thickened. Drain potatoes and beans; place in a
- serving bowl. Add sauce and stir to coat. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 137 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 314 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.