Cream of Crab Soup
One of our Chesapeake Bay delicacies is the Maryland Blue Crab. It's abundant from May through October and used in a variety of dishes, like this rich soup.
6-8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 to 2 tablespoons seafood seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 4 cups milk
- 1 pound fresh crabmeat or 3 cans (6 ounces) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Additional milk and parsley, optional
- Melt butter in a 3-qt. saucepan; stir in flour, seafood seasoning,
- salt and curry powder. Cook until thickened and bubbly. Gradually
- add milk; cook and stir until mixture is hot (do not boil).
- Remove cartilage from crab if necessary. Add crab and parsley to
- soup; cook and stir just until crab is heated. If desired, thin soup
- with additional milk; garnish with parsley. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 262 calories, 17 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 104 mg cholesterol, 878 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 16 g protein.