Cream Cheese Chicken Soup
After tasting a similar soup in a restaurant, I went home and cooked up my own version. It's so soothing on a winter evening served with crusty French bread. For a change of pace, try substituting ham or turkey for the chicken.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter. Add the broth, carrots
- and potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15
- minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add the chicken, parsley,
- salt and pepper; heat through.
- Combine flour and milk until smooth; add to the vegetable mixture.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat. Add cream cheese; cook and stir until melted. Yield: 8
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 272 calories, 15 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 504 mg sodium,