Cranberry-Walnut Toasting Bread
Looking for a great bread to start your day? My multi-grain is fabulous toasted. It is also good for sandwiches or served warm with dinner.Tish Stevenson, Grand Rapids, Michigan
24 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 45 min.
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/4 cups dried cranberries or cherries
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- In a large bowl, combine 3 cups all-purpose flour, oats, whole wheat
- flour, brown sugar, salt and yeast. In a small saucepan, heat water
- and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just
- until moistened. Stir in the cranberries, walnuts and enough
- remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
- 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the
- top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; divide in half. Shape into loaves; place in two