Cranberry Rice Salad
Our home economists devised this make-ahead recipe with the hectic holidays in mind. Cranberries and green onions add a bit of color.
5 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Cook rice according to package directions; drain and rinse with cold
- water. In a large bowl, combine the rice, cranberries and green
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, minced onion, poppy seeds and
- paprika; whisk in the vinegars and oil. Drizzle over rice mixture
- and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours. Just
- before serving, stir in the almonds. Yield: 5 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 345 calories, 13 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 3 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.