Meet the Cook: My husband and I have a small bog. So I "experiment" with cranberry recipes every fall! I came across this one in a cookbook, then just changed around a few things to better suit our tastes.
Cranberry/Orange Chicken is a nice New England dinner our entire family (we have two teenagers) enjoys. Sometimes, I'll make cranberry sauce, too, to top off a dessert of gingerbread.
4-6 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (about 3 pounds), cut up
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups whole fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 cups orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Red food coloring, optional
- Combine the flour and salt and place in a plastic bag. Shake chicken,
- a few pieces at a time, in flour mixture. Melt butter in a large
- skillet, brown chicken on all sides. In a saucepan, combine
- remaining ingredients except food coloring; bring to a boil and pour
- over chicken. Cover and simmer 1 hour. Remove chicken to warm
- platter. Bring sauce to a boil and cook, stirring constantly, until
- thickened. Add a few drops red food coloring if desired. Serve sauce
- over chicken. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 pieces) equals 622 calories, 22 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 108 mg cholesterol, 203 mg sodium,