Cranberry Ice Cream Pie
This recipe was one my mother served many times during the year, but always at Thanksgiving and Christmas. It became everyone’s special treat.—Geordyth Sullivan, Miami, Florida
8 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + freezing
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 3/4 cup cold 2% milk
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 3 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 can (14 ounces) jellied cranberry sauce, cut into slices
- 2 cups whipped topping
- Red food coloring, optional
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry; trim and flute edges. Line
- unpricked pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at
- 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5-7 minutes longer or
- until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand
- for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Fold in ice cream. Arrange half of
- the cranberry slices in the crust. Spread with half of the ice cream
- mixture; repeat layers.
- Cover and freeze for at least 2 hours or until firm. In a small bowl,
- tint whipped topping with red food coloring if desired. Just before
- serving, spread over pie. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 piece equals 397 calories, 16 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 332 mg sodium, 59 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.