"When I'm looking for a different way to put cranberries on the menu, this unique side comes immediately to mind," reports Donna Smith of Victor, New York. "Paired with beets, the berries are tasty and tangy...and their ruby-red color really brightens up my holiday dinner table."
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 6 cups sliced peeled fresh beets
- 1 can (14 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place beets in saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until tender.
- In another saucepan, heat cranberry sauce over medium heat until
- melted. Add orange juice, orange peel and salt. Drain beets; gently
- stir into cranberry mixture. Heat through. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (1/2 cup) equals 127 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 238 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fruit.