Cranberry Almond Macaroons
You'll relish this guilt-free take on a classic cookie, enhanced with cranberries and luscious dark chocolate. “My son is diabetic, and he loves these,” says Ramona Cornell of Levittown, New York. “A co-worker calls them 'a piece of coconut heaven'.”
11 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 10 min. + standing
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for
- 30 minutes. Add extract; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Gradually beat in sugar substitute on high until stiff glossy peaks
- form. Fold in the coconut, cranberries and almonds.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto a baking sheet coated
- with cooking spray. Bake at 325° for 10-15 minutes or until set.
- Cool for 15 minutes before carefully removing from pan to a wire
- Spread about 1 teaspoon melted chocolate on the bottom of each
- cookie. Place on waxed paper with chocolate side up; let stand until
- set. Yield: 11 cookies.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cookie equals 91 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 33 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber,