Cran-Orange Sponge Dessert
Snacks, such as Twinkies, make a delightful cake dessert when topped with fruit compote.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups cranberry juice
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 medium navel oranges, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 6 individual cream-filled sponge cakes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine cornstarch and cranberry juice until
- smooth; bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.
- Stir in corn syrup until blended. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or
- until thickened.
- Stir in the oranges, cranberries and cinnamon stick; simmer,
- uncovered, for 10 minutes or until the berries pop. Discard cinnamon
- Divide cake cubes among four dessert dishes; top each with 1/2 cup
- fruit sauce. Garnish with whipped cream if desired. Serve warm.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving equals 385 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 248 mg sodium, 81 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein.