Cran-Apple Wild Rice
If you'd like a change of pace from stuffing, try this delightful wild rice side. It has flecks of red from dried cranberries and touch of sweetness. It goes great with a variety of meats and poultry, and I sure your guests will love it.Debra Keil, Owasso, Oklahoma
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium tart apple, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- In a 2-qt. microwave-safe dish, combine cranberries and orange juice.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 minutes; set aside. Meanwhile, prepare
- rice mix according to package directions.
- In a large skillet, saute onions and brown sugar in butter for 5-6
- minutes. Stir in apple and cinnamon. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook
- for 25-30 minutes or until onions are caramel in color, stirring
- Drain cranberries; discard juice. Stir in the rice, onion mixture and
- orange peel. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup equals 250 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 423 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.