Country Roasted Chicken
This recipe gets wonderful flavor from the celery, onion and parsley tucked inside. This is my family's favorite way to eat poultry. When my daughter was away at school, she even called home to ask me for the recipe so she could make it herself.Judy Page, Edenville, Michigan
4 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 65 min.
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 large onion, cut into eighths
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, cut into 4-inch pieces
- 4 fresh parsley sprigs
- 8 small red potatoes
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Sprinkle inside of chicken with thyme and 1 teaspoon salt. Stuff
- chicken with the onion, celery and parsley sprigs. Place in a
- greased oven-proof Dutch oven.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Sprinkle remaining salt
- over chicken. Add potatoes and broth to pan. Cover and bake 25
- minutes longer.
- Increase oven temperature to 400°. Bake, uncovered, for 10-15
- minutes or until potatoes are tender and a thermometer inserted in
- chicken reads 180°. Sprinkle with minced parsley. Yield: 4
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (12 ounces) equals 455 calories, 21 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 131 mg cholesterol, 1,377 mg sodium,