Country Pork Chop Dinner
Jean Lawson shares this treasured recipe that pairs tender chops with hearty carrots and potatoes. "This satisfying supper, smothered in a golden sauce seasoned with thyme, is truly spirit-warming," notes the Dover, Delaware cook.
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 4 bone-in pork loin chops (1/2-inch thick and 7 ounces each)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 medium red potatoes, cubed
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a large skillet, cook pork and onion in oil until meat is browned
- and juices run clear; drain. Top with potatoes, carrots and
- mushrooms. Combine the soup, water, salt if desired and thyme; pour
- over vegetables. Bring to a boil; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until meat and vegetables are
- tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (prepared with reduced-fat soup and fresh mushrooms and without salt) equals 282 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 362 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 23 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch,