Country Breakfast Cereal
With this hearty eye-opener, rice is nice in any meal of the day! It's a delicious alternative to oatmeal. Top it with fresh strawberries, raspberries or blueberries.USA Rice Council, Houston, Texas
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Honey, brown sugar, or fresh fruit optional
- In a large saucepan, combine rice, milk, raisins, butter, cinnamon
- and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; cover
- and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until thickened. If desired, top with
- honey, brown sugar or fruit. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts:Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (prepared with skim milk and margarine and served plain) equals 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1/2 skim milk, 1/2 fat; also 197 calories, 110 mg sodium, 1 mg cholesterol, 39 gm carbohydrate, 6 gm protein, 3 gm fat.