Cornmeal-Chive Drop Biscuits
“Cornmeal gives these biscuits a nice crunch,” writes Angela Buchanan from Longmont, Colorado. “Use this recipe to make drop dumplings for soups or stews, too. Just drop the dough on top, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.”
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- In a small bowl, mix the flour, cornmeal, baking soda and salt. Cut
- in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add buttermilk and
- chives; stir just until moistened.
- Drop by 1/4 cupfuls 2 in. apart onto a greased baking sheet. Bake at
- 375° for 12-16 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield:
- 6 biscuits.
Nutrition Facts: 1 biscuit equals 175 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 391 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.