This is an old Southern biscuit that has been in the family for years. The texture is slightly different but is still great. —Maxine Reese, Candler, North Carolina
13 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 4 teaspoons butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Cut in shortening
- until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, combine sour
- cream and egg; add to dry ingredients just until moistened. Turn
- onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times.
- Pat or roll out to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in.
- biscuit cutter. Place 2 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Brush
- with butter. Bake at 425° for 8-12 minutes or until golden
- brown. Serve warm. Yield: 13 biscuits.
Nutrition Facts: 1 biscuit equals 153 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 219 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.