Corned Beef 'n' Cabbage Casserole
THE comic strip Maggie and Jiggs inspired me to serve this meal. Whenever Maggie asked Jiggs what he would like her to cook, he answered, "Corned beef and cabbage."
My husband liked this meal, too, and I always enjoyed making it for potluck suppers and other gatherings.
-Daisy Lewis, Jasper, Alabama
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium head cabbage, shredded (about 8 cups)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) white hominy, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 pound thinly sliced deli corned beef, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- In a large Dutch oven or saucepan, combine cabbage, onion and water;
- bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or
- until the cabbage is tender. Add remaining ingredients; simmer for 5
- minutes. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 157 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 1,198 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 14 g protein.