My grandmother and mother made this dish to warm their families during the cold winter months. Nothing chased away a chill like this chowder! Now when it's cold and damp outside, I make this dish and think of these days. Everyone in my household enjoys the delicious warmth of a steaming bowl of Corn Chowder.
4-6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 6 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 can (16 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Drain. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and
- simmer for 15 minutes or until onion is soft.
- Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 357 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 760 mg sodium, 57 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 13 g protein.