Corn Chowder Soup
On cool fall days, this thick creamy chowder hits the spot as an appetizer or light lunch. —Nancy Johnson, Connersville, Indiana
6 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 10 min. + cooling
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 cups fresh or frozen corn, divided
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Coat a large saucepan with cooking spray. Add onion; cook and stir
- over medium heat for 4 minutes or until tender. Add 4 cups corn;
- cook and stir until corn is softened, about 5 minutes. Add 2 cups
- broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes
- or until corn is tender. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth; return all to the
- pan. Add the red pepper, rosemary, thyme, pepper, cayenne and
- remaining corn and broth; cook and stir for 10 minutes or until the
- corn is tender. Yield: 6 servings (about 1-1/2 quarts).
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup equals 171 calories, 2 g fat (0 saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 61 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 2-1/2 starch.