Corn Bread Mix
Donna Smith of Victor, New York always keeps a plastic bag of this corn bread mix in her freezer. "All I have to do is add egg and milk for great, light-textured corn bread," she says.
45 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 4-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups cornmeal
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup baking powder
- 1 to 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup shortening
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients; cut in shortening until
- crumbly. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place or in
- the freezer for up to 6 months. Yield: 5 batches (11-2/3 cups
- To prepared corn bread: In a large bowl, whisk egg and milk. Stir in
- 2-1/3 cups corn bread mix just until moistened (the batter will be
- lumpy). Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at
- 425° for 20-25 minutes or until bread tests done. Yield: 9
- servings per batch.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 145 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 164 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.