Cookie Baked Alaska
"When I tasted this pretty dessert at a luncheon, I had to have the recipe," shares Maria Hull, Bartlett, Illinois. For variety, she suggests experimenting with different flavors of cookies or ice cream.
2 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Broil: 5 min.
- 1 cup vanilla ice cream
- 2 sugar cookies (3 inches)
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Scoop 1/2 cup of ice cream onto each cookie. Freeze until firm. In a
- small heavy saucepan or double boiler, combine the egg whites, sugar
- and cream of tartar. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed for 1
- minute. Continue beating over low heat until egg mixture reaches
- 160°, about 8 minutes. Remove from the heat; beat until stiff
- glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Place cookies on a baking sheet. Immediately spread meringue over ice
- cream, sealing to edges of cookie. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for
- 1-2 minutes or until the meringue is lightly browned. Serve
- immediately. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving equals 313 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 177 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 7 g protein.