Confetti Potato Pancakes
"My husband's family is Irish, and his mother makes potato pancakes quite often," writes Betsy McDaniels of Colfax, Illinois. "I like to add other vegetables to give them a more colorful look and heartier texture. Crispy on the outside and soft inside, these receive rave reviews, especially when I serve them to my in-laws!"
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 (1-1/2 pounds) large potatoes
- 2 medium zucchini
- 2 large carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion, divided
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Coarsely shred the potatoes, zucchini and carrots; drain and pat dry.
- Place half of the shredded vegetables and 1/4 cup chopped onion in a
- food processor or blender; cover and process until finely chopped.
- Transfer to a bowl; add eggs, flour, garlic, salt, basil, sugar and
- remaining onion and shredded vegetables.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil. Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls
- into skillet, flatten to form patties. Fry until golden brown; turn
- and cook the second side. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (2 pancakes) equals 148 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 176 mg sodium,