Confetti Barley Pilaf
This pilaf is both colorful and tasty," says Kris Erickson from Everett, Washington. "The slightly chewy texture of the barley, the tender vegetables and lively spices make it special enough for company. I love to cook and experiment in the kitchenespecially with grains and veggies."
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 55 min.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup coarsely shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until
- tender. Add barley; saute for 3-5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add the mushrooms, carrot, cabbage, red pepper, basil and oregano.
- Cook and stir until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for
- 40-45 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and barley is tender.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (2/3 cup) equals 169 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 507 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber,