Colorful Chicken 'n' Squash Soup
When I turned 40, I decided to live a healthier lifestyle, which included cooking healthier for my family. I make this soup every week, and everyone loves it. It’s nutritious, too.
14 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (4 pounds), cut up
- 13 cups water
- 5 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cubed (about 10 cups)
- 1 bunch kale, trimmed and chopped
- 6 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 teaspoons salt
- Place chicken and water in a stockpot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
- cover and simmer for 1 hour or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from broth. Strain broth and skim fat. Return broth to
- the pan; add the squash, kale, carrots and onions. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until vegetables
- are tender.
- When chicken is cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones and cut
- into bite-size pieces. Discard bones and skin. Add chicken and salt
- to soup; heat through. Yield: 14 servings (5-1/4 quarts).
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 241 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 581 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 19 g protein.