Colorful Black Bean Salad
Cherry tomatoes and yellow pepper add splashes of color this black bean salad. "I like to let it stand for at least 15 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to blend," suggests Laurie Mace of Los Osos, California.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 medium sweet yellow or green pepper, julienned
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a salad bowl, combine the beans, tomatoes, yellow pepper, onions
- and cilantro. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine dressing
- ingredients; shake well. Drizzle over vegetables and toss to coat.
- Chill until serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 137 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 480 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat.