Colcannon with Onions and Leek
Colcannon is a traditional Irish dish that combines mashed potatoes and cabbage. The addition of green onions and leeks punches up the flavors. It's a delicious side that pairs well with any meat. —Angela Spengler, Clovis, New Mexico
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped leek (white portion only)
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, place cabbage in a small saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 6-8 minutes or
- until tender.
- Drain potatoes; mash with milk, salt and pepper. Set aside. In a
- large skillet, saute onions and leek in butter until tender. Drain
- cabbage; add to skillet with potato mixture. Heat through; sprinkle
- with parsley. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup equals 213 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 392 mg sodium,