Colcannon Irish Potatoes
"My mother came from Ireland as a teen and brought the comforting recipe with her. I find that it's great way to get my family to eat cooked cabbage...hidden in Grandma's potatoes!" writes Marie Pagel of Lena, Wisconsin.
7 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 2-1/2 pounds)
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan or Dutch oven; cover with water.
- Bring to a boil. Cover and cook over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or
- until potatoes are almost tender. Add cabbage and onion. Cover and
- simmer for 5-6 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Drain well. Mash
- with butter, salt and pepper. Yield: 7 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (2/3 cup) equals 148 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 195 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.