"Our daughters, Tricia, 7, and Kristin, 10, love to serve this tender chicken with instant mashed potatoes and peas when they have friends over for dinner," writes Keri Scofield Lawson of Fullerton, California. A can of cola gives the savory barbecue sauce a flavor boost.
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 can (12 ounces) cola
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add chicken;
- brown on all sides. Carefully add cola, ketchup, garlic powder, salt
- and pepper. Cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until a meat
- thermometer inserted in the chicken reads 170°. Remove the
- chicken and keep warm.
- Combine the cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually add to
- the skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until
- thickened. Return chicken to pan; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 211 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 804 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.