Coconut Cranberry Alaska
"This impressive treat is my favorite company dessert, it's perfect for a holiday gathering!" writes Joan Hallford of North Richland Hills, Texas.
"The recipe is easy to prepare in advance and makes such a beautiful presentation. I always receive raves when I serve it and predict that you will, too."
12-16 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package (9 ounces) white or yellow cake mix
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 cups cranberry juice
- 1 can (14 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1-1/2 cups flaked coconut, toasted
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using a
- greased 9-in. round baking pan. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, combine gelatin and 1/4 cup sugar. Bring cranberry
- juice to a boil; stir into gelatin mixture until dissolved. Stir in
- cranberry sauce. Refrigerate until partially set.
- In a small bowl, beat 1 cup of cream until soft peaks form. Fold
- whipped cream and pecans into gelatin mixture. Pour into a 2-qt.
- bowl with a 9-in. diameter top coated with cooking spray.
- Refrigerate until set.
- Place cake over gelatin mixture; trim if necessary. Invert dessert
- onto a serving plate. In a large bowl, beat remaining cream until it
- begins to thicken. Add remaining sugar; beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spread over gelatin mixture and cake. Sprinkle with coconut. Yield:
- 12-16 servings.