Cobre Valley Casserole
We live in southeastern Arizona, in a part of the state known as Cobre Valley. "Cobre" is a Spanish word for copper, which is mined here. Variations of this recipe have been enjoyed in this area for many years.
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) refried beans
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, optional
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 large tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/3 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1-1/2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and celery over medium heat
- until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the taco seasoning,
- water, beans and green chilies if desired.
- Transfer to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at
- 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through. Top with cheese,
- green onions, tomato, olives and chips. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 298 calories, 15 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 790 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 19 g protein.