During the '30s, my mother made this pie for the ladies in her club. I'd hurry home from school so I could help her and then try a pie myself! It soon became such a family favorite. Mother made it part of our Christmas meals.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 unbaked pie pastry (9 inches)
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg yolks; beat well. Blend in
- milk. Stir in nuts and raisins; set aside. Using clean beaters, beat
- egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into the raisin mixture.
- Pour into pie shell.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 300°;
- bake 40 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Cool. Refrigerate.
- Serve pie chilled with whipped cream if desired. Yield: 6-8
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 409 calories, 21 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 80 mg cholesterol, 199 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.