Classic Texas Caviar
Becky Oliver of Fairplay, Colorado created this quick appetizer. Writes Becky, “I adapted this recipe from a cook book I received a long time ago, and now, I can't imagine a get-together at my house without it.”
10 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, drained
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fat-free Italian salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium ripe California Avocado, peeled and cubed
- Tortilla chips
- In a large bowl, combine the peas, tomatoes, green pepper and onion.
- In a small bowl, whisk the dressing, lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Pour over black-eyed pea mixture and stir to coat. Cover and
- refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Stir in avocado just before serving. Serve with chips. Yield: 5 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 1/2 cup (calculated without chips) equals 113 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 522 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.