Citrus Sirloin Steak
The mild citrus flavor of Carol Towey's marinade offers a nice change of pace from usual steak seasonings. "It's easy to prepare the steak the night before, then throw it on the grill before dinner," says the Pasadena, California cook.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + marinating Bake: 20 min.
- 2 medium unpeeled lemons, quartered
- 1 medium unpeeled orange, quartered
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 beef top sirloin steak (about 2-1/2 pounds and about 1-3/4 inches thick)
- In a skillet, cook the lemon and orange wedges in oil over medium
- heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring often. Add garlic; cook and stir
- 1-2 minutes longer. Place steak in a shallow glass baking dish;
- pierce meat every inch with a fork. Pour citrus mixture over meat;
- turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight, turning three or four
- Drain and discard marinade. On a covered grill over medium-hot heat,
- cook steak for 9-10 minutes on each side or until meat reaches
- desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read
- 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Yield: 6-8
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.