Citrus Carrot Sticks
In Geneva, Illinois, Amy Volk serves these julienned carrots that pick up a pleasant tang from orange juice and cumin. "This tasty treatment for carrots is kid-tested and approved," she says.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pound carrots
- 6 cups water
- Combine orange juice, butter and cumin; set aside. Cut carrots into
- 3-in. chunks, then into matchstick strips.
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add carrots; cook for 2
- minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain; place in a serving bowl.
- Drizzle with orange juice mixture. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (prepared with margarine) equals 44 calories, 1 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 35 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 vegetable.