Teenagers will have fun melting the red cinnamon candies that give bright color to these tender apples. "Serve this a salad or a side dish to accompany pork," recommends Alma Dinsmore of Lebanon, Indiana.
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup red-hot candies
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 6 medium tart apples, peeled and quartered
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, candies and sugar to a boil
- over medium heat; boil and stir until candies and sugar are
- Reduce heat; carefully add apples. Cook, uncovered, until apples are
- tender. Cool slightly. With a slotted spoon, transfer apples to a
- serving dish; pour sugar syrup over apples. Cool slightly. Cover and
- refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup equals 209 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 4 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, trace protein.