Chunky Seafood Chowder
This creamy chowder brimming with tender potato and crab tastes so good guests will never guess it starts with canned soup. Half-and-half cream makes it rich enough for special occasions. I often serve it with crackers or French bread after a sporting event or outing.
-Irene Craigue, Claremont, New Hampshire
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 pints half-and-half cream
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed New England clam chowder, undiluted
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 package (8 ounces) imitation crabmeat, flaked
- In a saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add cream and
- canned chowder; bring to a boil. Stir in potatoes, salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until the
- potatoes are tender. Stir in crab and heat through. Yield: 8
- servings (about 2 quarts).
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 293 calories, 16 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 839 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 9 g protein.