Chunky Pepper Potato Soup
This is our favorite vegetable soup recipe. I got it from a friend and made some changes to make it lighter. It is quick, colorful and satisfying—and you would never know it's low-fat! —Denise Mayer, Modesto, California
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 3 cups 1% milk, divided
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook onion until
- tender. Stir in the potatoes, peppers and broth. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes
- are tender.
- Stir in 2-1/2 cups milk. Combine cornstarch and remaining milk until
- smooth. Gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for
- 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup equals 158 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 504 mg sodium,